Below is my tentative schedule for ALA. I am mostly going to be in town on Sat. and Sun. Please shoot me an e-mail if you want and try to meet up. Before checking out my schedule be sure and check out the petition to start a Member Initiatives Group for Virtual Communities and Libraries. There is a petition to print and sign that needs to be handed in at the conference.
- Friday, June 22 8:00 or 9:00pm, Arrive in D.C.
- I am going to try and spend the evening preparing for my meetings.
- Saturday, June 23 8:00am – 10:00pm, Presidential Task Force on Library Education at Renaissance Washington, Room 2.
- I am really excited about this one. This is the first meeting of a Task Force established by Leslie Burger to explore the future of library education. There are a bunch of folks on this Task Force that I really admire. I will primarily be representing recent graduates of in-person schools. There is no site up for this yet, but I am going to propose that we set up a wiki or something.
- Saturday, June 23 10:30am -12:00pm, Membership Committee at Renaissance, Room 2.
- Saturday, June 23 5:30pm-8:00pm, LITA Happy Hour at Capitol City Brewing Company (Capitol Hill location, 2 Massachusetts Ave, NE)
- P.S. starting at 6:30 there is going to be a gathering of LISHost people as well.
Come out after hours on Saturday of ALA Annual in DC for an informal get together of ALA Facebook Group members at R.F.D. Washington – http://www.lovethebeer.com/rfd.html This is a Bar. Melanie from the ALA Washington Office says of RFD: “Huge bar, great beers on tap. Good place for big crowds, cheap and not fancy. Easy to find, no dress code and not pricey. ” Just like us. Mostly. No need to RSVP. And it’s not an offical ALA event. Hope to see you there.
- Sunday, June 24 from 10:30am-12:00pm, RUSA -MARS Chair’s Program – Harnessing the Hive at Washington Convention Center room: Room 144 A-C OR Sunday, June 24, 2007, 10:30am-11:30am, Auditorium Speaker Series: Featuring Anthony Romero (President of the ACLU) at Washington Convention Center Ballroom C
- Sunday, June 24 2:30pm-4:00pm, Meeting
- Sunday, June 24 4:00pm – 5:30pm, Membership Committee, at Renaissance, Room 5
- Sunday, June 24 5:45pm – 8:00pm, Blog Salon at Grand Hyatt Hotel, Congressional Suite OR Sunday, June 24 5:30pm – 7:30pm, UNC SILS Alumni Reception at the Colonial Room of the Renaissance Mayflower Hotel.
- Unfortunately I have a dinner meeting at 7, so I will only make it to part of one of these. Usually they are both great events.
- Sunday, June 24 7:00pm – ?, Dinner Meeting
- Sunday, June 24 7:30pm to 11:30pm – NMRT Social at HYATT Independence A
- I have been meaning to make it to one of these for quite a while now. I am going to make a concerted effort this time.
Some other cool stuff I have my eye on:
Michael Stephen’s is involved in these sessions: http://tametheweb.com/upcoming_presentations/
John Blyberg’s Schedule: http://www.blyberg.net/2007/06/04/ala-annual-schedule/
and his suggestion for Leslie Burger’s (very cool) Presidential Transformation Track: http://www.blyberg.net/2007/06/06/be-transformed-ala-07/
Jenny Levine lists the explicitly 2.0 sessions that are going on.